Samuel Delaney

From: Anne V Stuecker (avs5@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 15:46:38 PDT

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:29:30 -0700 Bruce Barbarasch / Kate Haas
>Another question: U.K Le Guin speaks highly of Samuel Delaney. Can
>anyone recommend one of his books? I started Neveryona, and found it
>Most Tedious.
>Kate

Kate -

Try _Triton_ ,a.k.a., when first published in 1972 (?) _Trouble on
Triton_. It's all I've read of Delaney, but it's an excellent book.
Delaney has training in the hard sciences, and he likes to incorporate a
lot of that mindset into his works. For example, in _Triton_ he outlines
an entire system of a new science called metalogic, but most of the
description of it is in one of several appendices.

What was tedious about _Neveryona_? I have a feeling it might be this
extrapolation Delaney does in regards to certain subjects, especially
those scientific. Try to just speed read through them, if they're not
what you're looking for. The worlds Delaney creates are rich in culture
as well as technology, and I look forward to reading more of his work.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions about
_Triton_.

Anne Stuecker <avs5@juno.com> Washington, DC, USA