Re: Master i Margarita

From: MARINA YERESHENKO (my0203@BRONCHO.UCOK.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 16:25:55 PDT

Nalo, thanks for response._Master and Margarita_ was my favorite book as a
teenager. It's about Satan visiting Moscow in early 30's, where official
policy was atheism, so no one believes in God or Satan altogether. He causes
quite a bit of trouble, but authorities either try to ignore him, or explain
everything as magic tricks.

Another story line is about a woman who sells her soul in order to rescue her
lover, a writer locked up in a mental institution for writing a book about
Christ. It was probably the first book I read where a woman rescued a man,
not vice versa. The cat you remembered was part of Satan's suite, he was
swinging on a chandeliere while shooting at KGB agents who came to arrest
the whole crowd. They were shooting back, but nobody got hurt, so the
incident was declared a case of mass hypnosis and hallucination.

Zamiatin's _We_ is about an anti-utopical future society, where
everything is strictly regulated, so even when people want to have sex, they
need to get a special coupon for that. The straightforward, law-obiding
main character meets a woman that introduces him to underground world of
rebels.

_We_ is often compared with _The Great New World_. However, it's
interesting that in _We_ men and women are equal, and in the other one --
well, alpha (highest rank) males are all engineers and scientists, and alpha
females turn bottles with fetuses on the conveyor line.

Marina