who is on this list

From: Anitra E. Heiberg Lykke (anitrae@STUD.ISV.UIT.NO)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 04:59:16 PDT

Kate wrote: "I am beginning to wonder what type of people sign up for this
list...Do we have a lot of professors? College students? Random people?
Writers? Computer geeks? Et cetera?

Hi, I am Anitra, and considers finding this list pure bliss.

Discovering that there are actual living women who also love science-fiction
as well as being feminists, still feels wonderful.
Not that I have met any in person yet, that will hopefully come.
I am a university student, working on a major-thesis on gender and
science-education, I write science fiction for fun, too often enjoying that
more than working on the thesis. I'm also married to a non sci-fi reader,
who didn't even like "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" He nevertheless
has promised to read all I write. I'm a mother of 2 and I've been reading
science fiction since I was 9( "The wizard from Earthsea" and "The day of
the triffids" in Norwegian) and in english since I found "Star dog" at 14.

I used to read everything I could get my hands on(like my fathers 10 cases
full of golden age sci-fi books), but readingtime is harder to come by these
days.
 I have enjoyed dicovering more feminist sf/fantasy than Marge Piercy and
Ursula k.LeGuin, and am looking foreward to a holiday in Oslo, where there
are a few bookstores that can keep me occupied for hours - sunshine or not.
I will be off the list until september, as I had 101 mails after a few days
away.
 - Anitra