Re: Test Tube Babies

From: Elizabeth Pandolfo (pandolfo@MACBSD.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 08:18:22 PDT

On 10 July, 1997, Brigid Venables wrote:

>But we have new technology for everything, from organising
>magazines to cooking our dinner: possibly the question we should be
>asking is - why is sex (or the absence of it in the reproductive process)
>such an issue - and what stereotypical behaviour / expectations eminate
>from these 'issues' viz 'the genders'.

Well, LeGuin and Delaney both point out that sexual relations form the
power base of a society (LeGuin pointing out women will never be equal
until sexual relations are; Delaney discussing the economics inherent in
sexual relationships). If reproduction no longer requires sex, that
changes the fundamental power structure completely.

Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth L. Pandolfo/Briggs
pandolfo@macbsd.com

"Whatever happens, believe that the journey is worth taking..." --Pesh, "Seaward"