Re: [*FSFFU*] Average heights of women and men (not about sf and f)

From: Tanya Wood (twood@CHASS.UTORONTO.CA)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 07:10:25 PDT

Dear all (especially Nalo),

I've been interested to read the discussion...Did you know I've always
wondered why, at the gym, my lower body is at least as strong as the males
(pumped up gym jocks excepted) on wieghts, and my upper body is, well,
pathetic, really. Nice to know I'm not suffering from some wierd
deformation (although I have noticed the same trend in other women). When
I was at school, I asked my (female) gym teacher what the cross-over
between less hearty males and fit women was in terms of running: and she
answered 3%: i.e. only the top 3% of women are faster than the the bottom
3% of men: is this not a major under-estimation? I was quite depressed
about this. It seemed wrong (not to mention unjust) to me, looking over my
class mates: the young women seemed alot more impressive than they were
being given credit for, and the young men a lot less.

I read, the other week, an article in our local "Outreach" magazine, which
really pissed me off, about the recently started female basketball
league. The columnist said it was both boring and a waste of time as women
were obviously simply not any good at basketball (compared to men), and
then painted himself as a heroic anti- political correctness warrior for
daring to point out that women were shorter and less strong than men.Wish
I could throw this stuff back in his face- obviously wants us out of the
gym, chained barefooted to the stove, and not doing any sport at all.

I know that this is not sf&f discussion, but its still the feminist part.
How about a tag on the subject line, marking off less directly list
relevant stuff out, so people can hit the delete key more easily, if
digressions are annoying?

Tanya.