[*FSFFU*] Retractible Male Anatomy

From: Nina M. Osier (mbarron@MINT.NET)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 14:07:41 PDT

A few days ago when I first began reading this list, I saw a couple of
postings that mentioned the vulnerability of male genitalia due to its
external location. One writer observed that maybe someday humans would
evolve a retractible penis, she thought that sounded like a good idea..

Finally located my copy of "Transition," a novel by Vonda N. McIntyre.
This is a sequel to her novel "Starfarers," and both of these books
include a character who has just such an anatomical convenience. The
author has created for her story a genetically engineered human
subspecies called "divers," and the penis (and everything else, for that
matter) of the male diver retracts inside the body for more efficient
swimming when it isn't - ah - in use.

I knew I'd seen that idea somewhere in someone's SF novel! (Never
thought this would be the subject of my first posting, though, I must
admit.)

Nina Osier
mbarron@mint.net