Re: [*FSFFU*] Wonder Woman (was Re: Are we talking about Feminist SF?)

From: Tanya Wood (twood@CHASS.UTORONTO.CA)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 06:57:11 PDT

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Sean Johnston wrote:

> Jessica also
> >channels most of her energies into her son: the mother figure self-
> >sacrificing so that her son can become a real hero. And how about
> >Irulan's misery because Paul doesn't love her? She channels all that
> >repressed passion into books and language, but 'really' just desiring to
> >be a 'real' woman (ie loved and desired by Paul).
>

> Isn't that what mothers do in their mother context: make sure their kids,
> male or female, do better than they?
Yes, they do. But the end always seems male defined.

  As for Irulan, I felt pretty bad for
> her, too. She, I can say honestly, was a true pawn, but I still don't see
> that as sexist, just sad for her.

Yes, Irulan is a true pawn, who tries to deal with her situation in the
best way she can (and does fairly well too). I too feel sad for her: what
I do think is sexist is the implication that her writing is an outlet
because she has been deprived a real relationship with Paul. Hence a
furfilling heterosexual relationship (with kids included) becomes the
natural arena for women, with Irulan's writing as a poor substitute for a
real life with a real man.

-Sean >

Tanya (I'm enjoying this discussion by the way)