Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Bonnie Gray (bgray@ECE.UCDAVIS.EDU)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 15:34:29 PST

     Just wanted to put my two cents in that I agree with Pat Matthews
about Heinlein. Yes, he wasn't exactly a feminist, but he seemed to
think he was and tried really hard at it... Heck, if you browse the
sf and mainstream written today you are likely to find many books
that make Heinlein look like a saint (along with those that make him
truly outdated).

     My question to the server is, does anybody know anything about
his wife? I have heard rumors that she was quite brilliant, which
may have had something to do with his incorporation of "strong"
(again, look at the decades) females. I haven't seen anything written
about her, though.

Thanks,
Bonnie

PS: I know Laura mentioned something recently about intros.
I never introduced myself to the list, although I have been
a lurker for many months and an occasional poster (alas, the
volume sometimes gets too great and I hit the delete key on
everyone...)

     I am a 27 yo PhD candidate in electrical engineering. My
area is microelectromechanical systems (most sf buffs are
familiar with the field; if not, think micromotors and nanites,
then think of reality :) )

     I love science, and I love science fiction. I also am a
take-no-prisoners feminist (translation: I think men and women
should all be treated fairly... what a concept...). I really,
really love feminist science fiction.

     I like the list because you all point me to the best books
out there repeatably :) Plus, it really is nice to know there
are other people with my interests out there, and hear what
they think.

     Well, that's my brief intro; thought I'd jump on the bandwagon
(all the cool kids are doing it...)