Re: [*FSFFU*] Intro/tie-ins/Star Wars

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@geocities.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 1997 - 03:50:03 PST

Vonda N. McIntyre wrote:

> My skin is a little thin about Crystal Star,
> especially on the Internet. While I have a
> case-sized box of letters telling me how much
> people like it, the reaction on the web is often
> that I'm the spawn of satan ("bitch" was one of
> the less loaded words applied to me) for focusing
> on Leia, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin.

I'll step out of the woodwork completely: When I first read it, I was
disappointed (not as disappointed as I was with Tyers's _Bakura_, but
that's another story). However, as I began to examine what you were
doing with the book, the more I liked it (and, no matter what anyone
says, it is rather refreshing to get away from Luke and his Jedi
melancholy and Han's wistful thinking of his good old smuggler days). I
think people are upset that: 1) the cover isn't exactly true to the book
- Luke is the main figure (if not the only figure...my copy is still at
my mother's house) on the cover; 2) you somehow turned your back on the
true characters in the series (which is wrong, too).

Now, we could argue the merits of the series as a whole (which I seem to
have stopped buying after the first three books of that silly _X-wing_
series), especially with such weak pieces as _The Truce at Bakura_ and
_The Corellia Trilogy_ (which I *still* can't bring myself to finish
reading - I'm languishing somewhere in the end of the second book), but
for people to attack you for the fact that you changed focus in your
book onto Leia and the children is insane. Perhaps these folks would
like to discuss the entirely silly proposition of Zahn's "Luuke
Skywalker" clone...(no, I *didn't* like Zahn's trilogy).

- Geoffrey