Re: [*FSFFU*] Clay's Ark

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 13 1997 - 08:56:43 PST

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> lg: David, I don't understand what you mean by treating her
protagonists badly,
> could you explain?

Poorly stated by me. I meant, as Sean discerned, that her protagonists
go through all kinds of grief, and the reader can't assume that their
heroic efforts will not be in vain.

> I think of Butler's work as important to feminist sf because her
female
> characters are so truely portrayed in full human complexity. Alot of
her work,
> such as Clay's Ark, presents a not-so-impossible-to-imagine near
future where
> our society as we know it collapses. IMHO, the female characters
don't
> necessarily have a feminist agenda: they are fighting to survive
horrendous
> conditions and remain fully human.

Thanks, this helps.

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"We live in Gothic times." - Angela Carter