Re: [*FSFFU*] Hello, everyone!

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 15 1997 - 01:23:32 PST

>What would you say are the top ten "must read" books for someone who wants
>to become familiar with these genres--that is, what do you think are the top
>ten books that someone must read in order to discuss sf and horror with
>other fans, even if they are not necessarily your top ten favorites?
>
>Christine

Probably this isn't really helpful, but read whatever you want. It's more
true to yourself and, by extension, to others, to _remain_ true to
yourself. Translation: these books are primarily entertainment. Serious
at times and informative, but entertainment. Read what entertains you the
best, what you love, and you'll likely be able to discuss it more
intelligently because you'll have a great personal interest in the topic at
hand. I dunno if there are ten "must read"s. I like to think not.
        All that said, some well-known and respected authors are: Octavia
E. Butler, Vonda McIntyre, Suzy McKee Charnas, Melanie Rawn, James Tiptree,
Jr., Nicola Griffith, Joanna Russ, Anne McCaffrey, Mickey Zucker Reichert,
and Gwyneth Jones.).

-Sean

The problem with people is that they try to control everything.