Re: [*FSFFU*] Independent Female Characters (was: Re:X-Files)

From: Jill Gillham (jilkey@GRFN.ORG)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 20:00:58 PST

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Geoffrey D. Sperl wrote:

> The first character that comes to mind is Dr. Susan Calvin, Asimov's
> focal character for many of his robot stories. Granted she comes with
> her own emotional baggage, but doesn't everyone? She's also dated by
> Asimov's era and dear John Campbell's iron-fisted control over SF, but
> she would probably be the proto-character of the one you're looking
> for...
>
> Who else?
>
> 1) Capt. Janeway?

I'd add in Buffy and Willow from Buffy:The Vampire Slayer with the comment
that they should be viewed as teenagers with all the emotional baggage
that entails. Willow in particular seems to be starting to get over her
teenage gawkiness, and learning to take charge of a situation. They did
some nice character progression in the latest demon episode. It's Willow
who figures out how to take the tools they have on hand and expell and
control the demon from her computer science teacher.
Buffy also is able to take advice from the past, religion, and such and
use what is useful about it while adapting it to suit her needs.

Showing my age by talking about this show, I guess,

Jill Gillham jilkey@grfn.org http://members.aol.com/~ferndock2
\|/ \|/ D=|[[] "All-arm'd I ride, whate'er betide,
=0: + =0: = \O/ Until I find the Holy Grail."
/|\ /|\ |*| -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson [Go WINGS!]