[*FSFFU*] more on films - antonia's line

From: Laura Quilter (lquilter@IGC.APC.ORG)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 17:58:28 PST

antonia's line - spoilers begin in third paragraph

OK, if we're going to have a discussion about films, then i have to bring
up a movie that was out about the same time as that l.a. virtual reality
turn-of-the-millennium thing everyone is discussing (the title slips my
mind just now). "antonia's line." (and, yes, it does qualify as
on-topic. there were several magical / hallucinatory events in the film.
ok, they weren't a major part of the plot but they did add to the general
atmosphere) i really, really loved this movie; it and "dead man" (also
vaguely magical-realistic - not to be confused with "dead man walking")
were my two favorite films of the year. but, alas, i've seen very little
discussion of the film anywhere. (it did win the oscar for best foreign
film for whatever that year was, 95 or 96)

when i saw the film, i was entranced; as i was leaving, the entire
audience seemed equally entranced; we all came out with misty eyes and
huge grins on our faces, saying "wow" - males and females. but in general
the male reaction to the film has been muted or negative; females who've
seen it with me much enjoyed it.

it received a really good review from, i think, MS., at the time. but the
CHICAGO READER and the (chicago) NEW CITY (two local "alternative" free
weeklies) both panned it (male reviewers). oddly enough they said there
were no good male roles in the movie, and that it was cloyingly feminist.
i thought this was remarkable, since antonia's lover seemed positive; also
the freaky guy (lumpy? what was his name?) seemed like a nice guy; and
finally the husband-boyfriend of the mathematician whiz was nice. and the
preacher turned out to be a sympathetic character too. i feel that i am
attuned to sexism - even reverse sexism - and i just didn't get any of
that from the film. i'd like to hear others' reactions.

Laura Quilter / lquilter@igc.apc.org

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be
in your revolution." -- Emma Goldman

         FREE MUMIA ABU-JAMAL