[*FSFFU*] Disney and fairy tales (yet another on this vein...)

From: Bonnie Gray (bgray@ECE.UCDAVIS.EDU)
Date: Sun Dec 14 1997 - 18:27:10 PST

     This is to Catherine Asaro and anyone else who happens to be
interested.

     I was at Disney World this past spring and took a tour of the
studio where the do drawing for some of the Disney features.
While I was there, they were really pushing Hercules (surprise surprise...)

     However, they also mentioned a story based upon a Japanese folk
tale about a young girl who goes into the army in her father's place
when he is drafted (he's old or sick or something, so she has to
take his place). Has anyone else heard about this? The potential
for a good story is there; of course, Disney could botch it. You
know, do something like market an army kit for the main character,
complete with make-up and jewelry. Does anyone know what tale
this is (knowing Disney "loosely") based on?

Bonnie