Re: [*FSFFU*] Disney and fairy tales (yet another on this vein...)

From: Cat Farrar (cat@CFMC.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 15 1997 - 21:19:19 PST

I've been lurking for some time and an amazed by the lack of feminist novels
bing suggested. It is 1997, an we are way passed gnder sterotypes in
SF,,,or are we? Old gender roles arre just that,....old, boring, too common
to be worhty of sicussion. And yet, here we are. What's up with thay?
Let's move and go beyond that and explore examples about males and females
that transcind the sterotypes of modern culture. Whynot, we know that so
well.... Isn't gener-stereotypes as boring to you as they are as boring to
me? They're boring because they keep repeating the known and are not
addresing the "unknown". Science Fiction writers have always prided
themselves on bing ahead of their times, as they should, since in most cases
they have been. We should have stories that reflect our real life exeiences
because that is what is true. I'm not advocating naturalisic stories, I am
advocting true life stories where men and women are equally capabile of
sustainting their enviournents to the best of their abilities.

Cat Farrar

At 11:46 PM 12/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>> However, they also mentioned a story based upon a Japanese folk
>>> tale about a young girl who goes into the army in her father's place
>>> when he is drafted (he's old or sick or something, so she has to
>>> take his place). Has anyone else heard about this?
>>
>>It doesn't ring any bells for me. It sounds like an intriguing story,
>>though.
>
>I don't think it's a Japanese folk tale, but Chinese. I do know the title
>is _The Legend of Mulan_, and it is about a girl who disguises herself and
>fights against the Mongols (Genghis is supposed to be in there somewhere)
>after being trained by a dragon voiced by...Eddie Murphy. :\
>
>- Geoffrey
>
>"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect
>
>http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8499

                ~Cat Farrar
"Gender is a lived ideology...that becomes EMBODIED because it is enforced."

~Martha McCaughey
 Real Knockouts - The Physical Feminism of Women's Self-Defense