[*FSFFU*] feminist dystopias

From: Robin Reid (Robin_Reid@TAMU-COMMERCE.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 07:55:54 PST

Becca--You asked about _The Handmaid's Tale_--if you are interested in this
kind of book, there are other feminist dystopias (if a utopia is the BEST
possible world a writer can imagine, a dystopic is the WORST possible world
a writer can imagine--and feminists have written dystopias to point out what
they think needs to be changed).

Suzette Haden Elgin's trilogy (_Native Tongue_, _The Judas Rose_,
_Earthsong_) is good (I still think Atwood owes a heavy debt to NT that she
doesn't acknowledge because she was interviewed as claiming THT is NOT SF)
is a good one; Joanna Russ' _The Female Man_, _We Who Are About To_, and
another one whose title is a bit shaky in my mind (_Both of Them_??), Suzy
McKee Charnas' _Motherlines_ trilogy (and those titles have escaped me
totally, but I think all three are in print) are all dystopias that explore
similar ideas and territory as THT.

Robin