[*FSFFU*] Strong women books

From: Jenny Rankine (jrankine@HRC.GOVT.NZ)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 14:41:53 PST

I thought you'd be swamped with suggestions, Cat, but it didn't seem like
it so here are a few of mine.
Octavia Butler's Survivor - great protagonist, fiercely independent; also
her Exogenisis trilogy, especially the first one about Lilith (I think that
was the protagonist's name). Butler writes really well about women faced
with impossible situations who do their best to find a livable future.

Eleanor Arnason's A Woman of the Iron People - this is a fascinating
creation and I look forward to reading the followup

Suzy McKee Charnas's Walk to the End of the World, where women are slaves -
Alderra is a wonderfully strong character. Stay with it - it starts slowly
and grimly.

Ru Emerson' s fantasy book The Princess of Flames

Nicola Griffith's Ammonite

Barbara Hambly's Dragonsbane - I really like her portrayal of Jenny (I
think that's the character's name) and her struggle to have a relationship
with a man and kids and also have the time to be a strong witch (it's not
as cliched as it sounds)

Phyllis Ann Karr's Frostflower books - two neat independent female
chracters and a great role reversal going on in the background.

Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion series, starting with Sheepfarmer's Daughter

Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake (one of her early books, may be hard to find)

Robin McKinley's two related novels The Blue Sword and The Hero and The
Crown about young women growing up and becoming heroes

Joan Slonczewski's A Door Into Ocean - I love this world, but stay with it,
it starts slowly and obliquely

Sherri Tepper's trilogy of fantasies about Mavin Many-Shaped- the Song
of.., the Search of.., and the Flight of.. A wonderful, eccentric
character.

Lisa Tuttle's Windhaven is a great book about a revolution sparked by a
woman who wouldn't accept subordinate status for herself or others

Enjoy!
Jenny Rankine, jrankine@hrc.govt.nz